Have you ever gone to plug something in and noticed that your outlets aren’t working properly? It can be frustrating and puzzling to figure out what is causing the issue. In this blog post, we’ll look at some common reasons why outlets may not be functioning correctly, so you can take the necessary steps to get your electricity back on track. Let our team of electrical experts explain!
Tripped Circuit Breaker
It’s possible that your outlets not working is related to your circuit breaker. A circuit breaker is a safety device that monitors the electricity in your home and will switch off the power if it senses an overload. This prevents things like fires and shocks. If you’ve recently overloaded an outlet or tripped a circuit breaker, it could explain why your outlets are no longer working. To fix this, simply locate your circuit breaker box, switch off the power, and reset the circuit breakers one at a time. That should solve your problem!
You Have a GFCI Outlet
Unlike regular outlets and circuit breakers designed to protect your home’s electrical system, GFCI outlets, or ‘ground fault circuit interrupters,’ are designed to guard people against electrical shock. When a circuit is connected to a GFCI outlet, the outlet will shut off the power if it detects an imbalance in the current, which usually means there’s a ground fault. If your GFCI outlet is dead, then it may have shut off due to a short circuit. To restore the power within your outlets you can try resetting them by pushing the reset button. It’s important before you do so, to unplug every appliance from the outlet. Once the outlets are reset, the power should be restored. If not, then there may be a bigger issue at hand, and you’ll need to call an electrician for further assistance.
Faulty wiring is often to blame when your outlets are not working properly! Old or damaged wiring can cause a shortage in your electrical system, leading to your outlets not working. If you have an outlet that is not functioning correctly, it is possible that the wiring behind it may be damaged. Other signs that you may have faulty wiring include sparking from an outlet, a burning smell coming from an outlet, and flickering lights when an appliance is plugged in. Faulty wiring can cause shocks, start fires, and other damage to the structure of your home. Don’t wait until it’s too late – if you suspect faulty wiring, get it inspected right away!
Your Outlets Have Burnt Out
It’s possible that the reason your outlets are not working is that they have burnt out. This occurs when too much electricity is running through them, causing them to short-circuit and essentially overheat. This often happens when a high-wattage device is plugged into an outlet not designed for it. Unfortunately, fixing a burnt-out outlet is no easy task. It’s important to ensure that all electrical repairs are done correctly and by a professional, as mistakes can be extremely dangerous. When in doubt, never attempt to fix an electrical issue yourself. With the help of an electrician, you’ll have peace of mind that your outlets are fixed correctly and safely.
From faulty wiring to the type of outlets you have throughout your home, there are many factors that come into play when diagnosing why your outlets are not functioning properly. We hope by walking you through some of the most common causes you have a better understanding of the possible culprit & when it is vital to call in a professional to help resolve the issue at hand. If you are experiencing issues with your outlets or other electrical needs in your home, our EarlyBird is always here to help!
Call us at (612) 263-8523 today!