Solid-conductor aluminum wiring, frequently installed in Minneapolis – St. Paul area homes between the mid 1960s and early 1970s, if not properly repaired using updated methods, is a fairly dangerous fire risk for the homes it’s located in. It’s dangerous because of its propensity for overheating due to arcing at the connectors, which can lead to electrical fires.
The certified residential electricians employed by EarlyBird Electrician know all about the dangers of aluminum wiring that hasn’t been brought up to code and have the experience and training to handle any home in need of an update. Not only are they licensed and experts in their field, they’re also available to take your call whenever you need them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your safety is our top priority so never hesitate to call if you think your home may have outdated aluminum wiring.
What makes my aluminum wiring need repairs?
The biggest problem when it comes to outdated aluminum wiring is heat. When conducting current, the aluminum expands into the connector with immense pressure. This process, over time, leads to the connectors becoming looser and allows for corrosion to build-up inside. The longer this is allowed to happen, the more heat is built-up as the connection is used and, in time, it can lead to fires and other problems. Commonly, aluminum wiring is expected to have a life of around 30 years. Some obvious signs that your aluminum wiring is at the end of its life include:
- A smell of burning plastic
- Outlets and switches that are warm to the touch
- Electrical devices stop working without circuit breakers tripping
- Obvious sparks, smoke, or flames
- Irregular reactions from lights, such as dimming or brightening when other electrical devices are being used
If you notice any of these signs, call us right away.
Why choose EarlyBird Electricians?
- Same-day service. If same-day service isn’t available, you won’t be charged any travel fee.
- No-surprise pricing. We obtain your approval before any work is done so you never have to worry about unknown fees or charges.
- Consistent, quality work. We have the years of experience, familiarity with the Twin Cities metro, and long-standing reputation needed to deliver the consistently high quality work you’re looking for.
- Safety and security, guaranteed. Our electricians are licensed and have passed stringent background checks so you can feel comfortable inviting them into your home.