Why Aluminum Wiring is Dangerous for Minneapolis & St. Paul Homes.
Aluminum wiring is known to separate from the screws on switches, electrical outlets, and lights, creating a poor connection as a result. This poor connection can result in the wire heating up, which can cause the aluminum to oxidize and potentially lead to electrical fires and other safety hazards.
There are several qualities that make aluminum a poor choice for a conductor when it comes to wiring a Minneapolis & St. Paul home, including:
High Electrical Resistance
Compared to copper, aluminum has a relatively high resistance to electrical flow.
Aluminum wiring becomes oxidized more easily than copper wiring. When aluminum wiring is oxidized, the resulting aluminum oxide is less conductive than copper wiring.
Thermal Expansion and Contraction
Aluminum expands and contracts with temperature changes. This can cause the connections between the wiring and other components to degrade in durability and effectiveness. Aluminum expands and contracts with temperature changes. This can cause the connections between the wiring and other components to degrade in durability and effectiveness.
When bent or otherwise impacted, aluminum has a tendency to break down, unlike copper, which is a ductile material. If aluminum breaks down, it becomes more resistant to electrical currents, causing excess heat to build up, which could lead to an electrical fire.
Aluminum is a malleable material that is sensitive to compression, meaning that if it is impressed upon, it will take on the shape of whatever is pressing into it. For example, if a screw is over-tightened on an aluminum wire, the wire will keep its shape after the screw has been loosened. This will result in a loose connection with increased electrical resistance.